Radical Jamaican Muslim cleric indicted in US on terror charges

Jamaica's Ministry of National Security said that el-Faisal was arrested in the capital of Kingston and taken to his house in the nearby parish of St Catherine, where police executed a search warrant. Authorities in Jamaica said el-Faisal is scheduled to appear later in court, although they did not provide a date. He is expected to be extradited to New York after his court appearance in Jamaica. El-Faisal was arrested after a months-long sting carried out by an undercover New York Police Department officer who communicated with him by email, text and video chat. According to the Manhattan district attorney, el-Faisal offered to help the undercover officer travel to the Middle East and join fighters with the Islamic State group, also known as ISIS. It's not clear if el-Faisal has an attorney. The 53-year-old el-Faisal was born Trevor William Forrest in Jamaica. US authorities had long been concerned about him, fearing that he would emerge as a recruiter of marginalised, disaffected youth in Jamaica. Born to Christian parents, he converted to Islam as a teenager and later left Jamaica for religious study. He preached in London mosques, delivering sermons that advocated war with Jews, Hindus and other groups and the use of chemical weapons to exterminate unbelievers. "The way forward is the bullet," he said in one recorded message. Those talks got renewed attention after the September 11 attacks and in 2003 he was convicted under of a seldom-used British law for inciting murder. After his release from prison in 2007 he was deported to Jamaica. The Islamic Council of Jamaica, which had banned el-Faisal from preaching in the country's mosques because of his inflammatory sermons, said it was not affiliated with el-Faisal and had no information regarding his arrest. El-Faisal was subsequently ejected from Kenya after a trip there in 2009 because of suspicions of encouraging young men there to join an Islamic extremist group in Somalia. He was then deported to Jamaica in early 2010.